Friday, February 13, 2015

Review for Darkness by Erin Eveland ( 3 out of 5 must reads)

I liked this book, but I went with 3 stars because I felt a disconnect with the characters.  I really enjoyed the interactive aspect; I used my Kindle, so all I had to do was click on the scanner and it would connect with my WIFI, and send me right to the page, so that part was easy; although some of the links didn't quite bring me right to the music, and I thought the music and art was interesting; for the most part, so having that feature was a plus.  I like the whole idea of the story; the idea of the Darkness; which to me is like some type of demon or phantom, and how there isn't just black or white, but shades of grey.  The writing is a bit macabre; which I tend to like, but even this writing was a bit over dramatic for me, and some of the word choices didn't work for me; I don't quite know how to describe it, but the words felt grimy to me, and since the world the book is set seems rather dilapidated; I suppose it fits, but I didn't quite enjoy it. The story did start slowly for me, and I found myself wanting to rush past parts, and the point of views were oddly written; to the point I didn't really know who's point of view I was reading from, and as I said the characters felt far away, and I didn't really care for any of them.  I don't like when characters allow themselves to become "victims" and this book had tons of those characters.  There really aren't any answers given in this book, so I expect there to be more given in the next book; which I will read because I hate not knowing how something ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment