Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Review for Chimera by Vaun Murphrey - 4 bees knees



SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS.COM -

If you witnessed your parents killed at age five for reasons unknown only to endure eight years of isolation in captivity, what would you do with your life when you were suddenly rescued by family you never knew you had? What if you yourself were even more than you seemed? The universe can be both a terrible and wonderful place to live if you have the courage to explore it. Enter an alternate reality of civil war, secrets, murders and betrayals that transcends space and time with CHIMERA, Book One of the Weaver Series.


MY REVIEW -

I liked the concept of the book; I thought it was unique, and I think the author made some interesting choices, and although there wasn't very much action; this book feels to me more like a set up novel, I still enjoyed it, and I was interested till the end. The age of the main character got in the way for me a bit, she's 13, but she doesn't act like a 13 year old, so it was odd, and the subject matter of this book is quite adult, so it was a bit jarring, and took me out of the story. I was going back and forth on giving it 3 or 4 stars, but I decided for 4 stars, mainly based on the unique concept, and I enjoyed the sassiness and intelligence of the main character, Cassandra. Cassandra has to deal with a lot of issues that are way too adult for a 13 year old, and I think she handle everything was beyond her years. I would forget how old she was, and when I did, I would enjoy the book more, but then it would be mentioned, and it would bring the book down for me. I'm going to read the next book in the series because I was entertained, and I look forward to seeing where the author goes with this.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds really intriguing. I'm gonna have to see if they have this where I get books. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is definitely different, I just finished the 2nd book, and that one is unique as well, and I liked the 2nd book more than the first, so I would recommend the series so far.

      Delete
  2. I'm okay with novels that feel more like they are setting up something as long as it happens in the first book. Hmm, I like the main character's age would seem a little bit off for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind set up books either; I like backstory on characters, and it can make the story fuller. Luckily they don't mention the age thing too much, so it's easy to forget about.

      Delete