Saturday, September 5, 2015

Review for Untaken by J.E. Anckorn - 5 bees knees!



SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS.COM -

It turns out that a real alien invasion is nothing like the Sci-fi shows 14-year-old Gracie loves. Not when it’s your own family who are swallowed whole by those big silver ships. Not if it could be you next. In her search for her family, Gracie meets Brandon, a high school dropout who would never have been caught dead hanging out with a dork like Gracie before the world ended. Gracie isn’t too crazy about Brandon either, but he has one thing she doesn’t: A plan. Brandon’s uncle has a cabin up in Maine, and If Gracie and Brandon can survive long enough to get there they can hide out until the Space Men pack up their ships and leave. Until the army guys come to rescue them, says Brandon. Brandon is big into army guys. Gracie has to admit that Brandon’s Awesome Plan probably would have worked out great if wasn't for Jake. They found 5-year-old Jake, laying half-dead under the remains of someone’s ranch house. He’s a good kid, even if he won’t-or can’t- talk. But Jake has a secret, and when Gracie finds out what it is, the fragile new life they’ve started to forge looks set to break apart. When the people you’ve been counting on to put the world back together start hunting you down, alien invaders are the least of your worries.



MY REVIEW -

I really loved the concept for this book; an alien invasion is something I find interesting, and I like how it was written in this book. A little bit more alien encounters would of been cool, but I did enjoy what was in the book, and I like the type of alien species that is represented in this story. The descriptions the author uses for the spaceships, and alien type things really painted a vivid picture, and I like how the world is in a sort of dystopian world. I enjoyed both of the main characters; I do wish they were a bit older because I wanted them not to be so stunted, but I do think the author did a great job of writing the characters, and I felt each characters immaturities were in tune with the characters age group. I like that the author gave build up stories for each character; it was good to see each character in their own world before they joined together, and I liked how the characters played off of each other. I do wish there was more to the end, I felt there was a lot of unanswered questions, and there isn't a resolution to some of the issues in this story. I hope there will be another book featuring these characters because I would like to know how the characters continued to deal with the alien situation. I will definitely look into other books by Anckorn because this was an excellent read!

2 comments:

  1. I don't really care for alien reads but judging the cover, the synopsis and your review it sounds like it's worthwhile. I might check this out! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this one is more of a YA dystopian. There have been some mixed reviews for it, but I really liked it!

      Delete