Monday, October 19, 2015

Review for Above the Sky by Jenny Lynne - 5 bee's knees!



SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS.COM -

HER FIRST EIGHTEEN YEARS WERE FILLED WITH LIES. SHE IS ABOUT TO DISCOVER THE TRUTH.

Eighteen-year-old Seven and her best friend, Ten, live where all is peaceful ... except for the violent war raging above the sky. Lifelike humanoid robots and self-operated drones tend to everyone's needs, leaving people free to spend their time stimulating their minds and enjoying life's pleasures. But there are strict rules and few choices.

Every year, on Assignment Day, the path of each eighteen-year-old's life is laid out. Some are given the jobs for which they have shown exceptional aptitude and are "paired" for mating. The others are sent off to fight in The War and never return.

When Assignment Day comes for Seven, the assignments shatter everything she's ever believed. The rules force everyone to accept their fates, but Seven decides to do something unprecedented: to go against the Decision Makers' wishes.

ABOVE THE SKY tells the story of a girl who grows up in a dystopian future society founded on lies. Filled with constant suspense, surprising twists, forbidden romance, imaginative adventure, and thought-provoking philosophy, ABOVE THE SKY will appeal to readers who enjoyed THE HUNGER GAMES (by Suzanne Collins), DIVERGENT (by Veronica Roth), THE MAZE RUNNER (by James Dashner), ENDER'S GAME (by Orson Scott Card), and THE GIVER (by Lois Lowry).

MY REVIEW -

Loved it!! I'm a huge fan of dystopian type stories, so that aspect of this book was super great, and even though dystopian is a popular story to write at this time, I still felt that this book was unique enough that I didn't feel like I have read it before. Seven is our lead for the story, and the entire book is from her point of view, she's just turning 18, and it's time for her to be assigned a job and a mate, well as long as she's not chosen to be a warrior. The warriors are sent to the surface where there is a war that is suppose to be going on; all the residents of Seven's home are rather kept in the dark about anything that is really going on, and the residents don't question anything. The place Seven is from is sheltered, and the rules are strict; people aren't even allowed to touch until they are mated and only in private. I loved that there are robots around town, and I love that the story felt futuristic, but still heartfelt. Seven has a close friendship with a friend from her childhood, his name is Ten, and I absolutely loved their relationship, its strong and they both really get each other. I couldn't put the book down! I just wanted to keep reading until I finished it, and I lost out on plenty of sleep because of this book, but it was surely worth it. I loved the training scenes, and all the scenes between Ten and Seven. I'm not super crazy about what happens towards the end, and I'm not thrilled that I have to wait to find out what happens until the next book, but I highly recommend this book. Truly excellent read!!

No comments:

Post a Comment