Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Review for Shattered Blue by Lauren Blue Horowitz - 4 bees knees



SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS.COM -

For Noa and Callum, being together is dangerous, even deadly. From the start, sixteen-year-old Noa senses that the mysterious transfer student to her Monterey boarding school is different. Callum unnerves and intrigues her, and even as she struggles through family tragedy, she’s irresistibly drawn to him. Soon they are bound by his deepest secret: Callum is Fae, banished from another world after a loss hauntingly similar to her own. But in Noa’s world, Callum needs a special human energy, Light, to survive; his body steals it through touch—or a kiss. And Callum’s not the only Fae on the hunt. When Callum is taken, Noa must decide: Will she sacrifice everything to save him? Even if it means learning their love may not be what she thought?

MY REVIEW -

First off, Love the cover! I debated giving this 5 stars, but in the end I decided to go with 4 stars because I felt the characters were a bit stunted; they didn't have depth, felt flat to me, but further into the book really got into the story, and I really enjoyed it! I also went with 4 stars over 5 because there was a lot of the typical YA formula in this book; love triangle, mysterious guy at school, unknown weirdness going on, and I do like YA books, so I didn't mind the similarities too much, and it did start getting unique as the story developed. Noa is the main female character, and I definitely found some of her reactions to be odd, and she makes bad choices, and she doesn't help anything; she pretty much just causes issues, and I also thought her relationship with her sister was weird, and she cares too much what other people think; plus she's a martyr. Despite all that, I still was rooting for her, and I have hopes she'll grow in the next book(s) in this series. There's also Callum, and since the blurb already spoils his heritage I'll go ahead and say it also, he is Fae, and I guess I liked him okay, but I always had a sense that he wasn't quite what he seemed, so I had a hard time connecting with him, and like Noa, he also thought his way is best, so that can be annoying. Noa and Callum's relationship was a bit dry as well, so if you are looking for a wholesome YA read, this book is good for that type of thing; there's only a little romance. I love the Fae aspect, and I liked the author's take on it, and I think the author has set up the story to really evolve in the next book; warning! this book ends in a bit of a cliffhanger. There's also a character called Judah; he's more my type of character, and I really like his development in this book, and am looking forward to reading more about him in the next book. I don't want to give too much away, so I'll leave the review as is, and just say this is a YA book that has lots of potential to really become something unique as the series goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment