Friday, December 25, 2015

Review for Atone by Beth Yarnall - 3 bees knees



SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS.COM -

Beau: Six years. That’s how long I spent behind bars for a crime I didn’t commit—the murder of the woman I loved. Now I’m free, but life on the outside is a different kind of prison. I don’t know who I am or who I want to be. At least I have my sister, Cora. She never stopped believing in me. She even got me a job at the private investigation agency that cleared my name. And then Vera Swain walks into Nash Security and Investigations and kicks my world on its ass.

Vera: There’s only one thing that would make me come out of hiding after two years on the run: finding my sister. I made the mistake of telling a monster about her, the same monster who beat me and broke me. Now I’m forced to confide in Beau Hollis of Nash Security and Investigations. He looks at me like he knows me—the real me. He sees too much, makes me feel too much. The pleasure he offers is exciting and addictive. But I can’t fall for him . . . because my love could get us both killed.

MY REVIEW -

So, I didn't like this one quite as much as I did the first book in this series, Vindicate, but I still liked it. This one is much darker than the first one; it deals a lot more with rape and murder, and this isn't really the type of story I'm interested in reading, and the characters; especially Vera, have gone through really horrific things. Beau was in prison for 6 years even though he was innocent, he has just been released after his sister, Cora, helped clear his name; that's book one, this book picks up with his life a couple months after his release, and Beau is still adjusting to his new life, and dealing with the grief from the death of his girlfriend. Beau is living with his sister, and is offered an opportunity to work at the law office to help with the investigations. Vera needs help finding her sister because Vera hasn't heard from her in awhile, and she believes she is in danger. Beau and Vera have an instant connection, and Beau offers to help Vera even though Vera has a lot of secrets. As I said earlier this book is really dark, and that includes the romance; it isn't your lovey dovey romance, these 2 people have dealt with a lot of crap, and need to learn to trust and rely on each other. Vera doesn't want to start anything with Beau because she just wants to find her sister, and due to other things going on doesn't feel like she is good enough to be loved, and Beau is still dealing with his feelings about the death of his girlfriend, and he doesn't think he has the right to move on. The story is a sad one, and there are a lot of taboo subjects in this books, so if you have any sensitivities, this one probably isn't for you. There are some sweet moments with Vera and Beau, but I found it difficult to enjoy a lot of their relationship because all that was happening in this book was quite overwhelming, and sort of put a shadow over any of the happier moments. Also, this is sort of off topic, but what in the heck was that scene when Vera meets Leo! What the heck was Leo doing? I felt he was being disrespectful to Cora by his actions with Vera; maybe I misinterpreted the scene. I also felt like Cora and Leo's relationship felt different then it should have after reading the first book, but that's not really important for this book, so I'll let it go. I did love that Cora was a voice of reason when Beau wouldn't really think things through. I don't like that Beau didn't want to know more about Vera because he didn't want to upset them being together; I don't think it's a good idea to turn a blind eye because of the fear that you won't like something. Vera was a bit to brash for my liking also, but I understand why she's the way she is. The ending was okay, but I felt it was slightly forced. This is a gut wrenching story, and it is a difficult read, so don't go into this story expecting a breezy read and a perfect romance. I do like Beth Yarnall's writing style, and I will continue to check out more books by her.

No comments:

Post a Comment