Monday, December 28, 2015

Review for Fighting for Devlin by Jessica Lemmon - 5 bees knees!



SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS.COM -

Devlin Calvary makes his own luck. Orphaned as a young child, he was taken in by a crew of bookies and gamblers—and they became his family. They’re the reason Dev’s running a trendy bistro, living in a high rise, and enjoying the good life with a string of women who never ask for too much. Until, one night, he finds out how much it hurts to trust the wrong people.

Rena Lewis sticks to the straight and narrow, determined not to slip up again . . . like the terrible night of partying four years ago that ended in tragedy. A waitress at Oak & Sage, she knows that sleeping with her boss is not a smart move. But when Dev shows up on her doorstep, beat up and clearly shaken, Rena’s not about to turn him down . . . or kick him out of bed.

Dev reawakens something primal within her—a need to go wild. And Rena soon finds out that the heart she’d sealed away years ago still has the power to fight for love.

MY REVIEW -

I ended up really enjoying this! I thought I'd give it a 4 rating for most of the book, but I really enjoyed the last part of the book. I was leaning towards a 4 rating in the beginning because Rena was a bit too needy for my liking and Devlin a bit too douchey, and I don't really like the whole illegal gambling world; it has always been distasteful to me, with the whole beating people up to get the money you are owed thing, but I enjoyed the development of the relationship between Devlin and Rena a lot, so I sort of pushed those thoughts aside, and went with the 5 rating.

Luckily, both Devlin and Rena; mostly Devlin, grow as the story progresses, and I loved their chemistry. Rena works at Devlin's restaurant as a waitress, and of course Rena has a huge crush on him, and of course Devlin is a huge flirt and charmer, but doesn't want to get involved with anyone in his employ. Devlin also uses his restaurant to collect or give money to the people who bet with a bookie that Devlin's father owed money too when he died, and who Devlin is trying to pay back by allowing his restaurant being a sort of front for the illegal gambling, but Devlin doesn't really seem to mind doing this. Dev gets beat up when he tries to collect from a gambler, and get tossed out into the cold, but luckily he is near Rena's place.

After that Rena and Dev begin to grow together, and although Dev doesn't exactly treat Rena with care in the beginning, he begins to realize that he hasn't truly been honest with himself about how he feels about how he is living his life and what he wants with Rena. Rena not sure if she can trust Devlin, and she also is in battle with how she thinks she should be, and who she actually is inside. The sex scenes between Dev and Rena were well written, and I liked that they weren't too long, and they had just the right amount of spice and kink. Dev and Rena also have some really sweet moments, and are adorable together.

I'm thinking the next book in the series is going to be Tasha (Rena's friend) and Cade's (someone in Dev's life) story, and I am really interested in hearing about what is going to happen with Cade, but I wasn't totally n like with Tasha in this book; she stays with jerk off boyfriends when she should really have some self respect, and get the hell out the toxic relationship, but even with not totally being on board with Tasha, I am still looking forward to reading the next book in the series because I did enjoy the writing. So in the end, I did love this book, and I look forward to more from Jessica Lemmon!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds good! I love a book with good romantic chemistry between the two characters. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good romantic chemistry is a must, or the book will be seriously lacking.

      Delete