Friday, December 25, 2015

Review for Vindicate by Beth Yarnall - 4 bees knees



SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS.COM -

Cora. . . . I got my driver’s license on my sixteenth birthday so I could visit my brother in prison. Five and a half years later, he’s still locked up for a murder he didn’t commit and I’m still trying to find a way to set him free. Then I hear about Nash Security and Investigation, a private detective agency that helped exonerate a wrongfully convicted man after thirty-nine years in prison. The problem? They’ve already taken on the one pro-bono case they’ll accept this year.

Leo. . . . I’m this close to finishing law school—and never working another day at my dad’s P.I. office—when Cora Hollis walks through the door. She’s got a box of files, a handful of leads, and an independent streak a mile wide. She fascinates me and I can’t say no. Suddenly I’m volunteering to help her find a missing witness who could be the key to her brother’s case. But nothing is what it seems and giving in to the attraction between us could be more dangerous than finding the real murderer.


MY REVIEW -

What drew me into wanting to read this story was the whole premise of Cora trying to help her brother get out of prison for a crime she believes he didn't commit; his girlfriend was raped and murdered, and I found the investigation Cora begins interesting, and it made for a good mystery to be solved. Cora's whole life is on hold because she builds her life around trying to free her brother, so she's built up walls around herself because she can't move on till she's helped her brother. Cora is on her own because of her obsession to help her brother, and her parents have basically fallen apart and are of now support to her, so she is all on her own, and her brother is resigned that there is nothing to do, and he is stuck in prison. Cora will not give up, so she finds a lawyer that takes her brother's case pro bono, so hopefully her brother can be exonerated. There Cora meets Leo; the son of the owner of the law office, and they have an instant connection, but Cora is weary because Leo is a bit of a manwhore and is immature. I liked Cora's tenacity and her honesty; she's tough, but also a bit fragile because she's had to go through a lot. While Cora and Leo investigate her brother's case they begin to grow closer, and begin to connect on a romantic level, but of course there are problems because Cora has walls and doesn't trust Leo's intentions. Leo and Cora do have chemistry, and there are some cute moments between them, but Leo attitude change was sort of abrupt, but I suppose it happens when you meet someone worth fighting for. I liked that Leo isn't one of those tortured romance heroes; which are good too, but it's nice to have someone that is present in the world and has a sense of humor. I loved the banter between Cora and Leo. The sex scenes were good, and there wasn't too much, this book has a lot of other stuff going on, so it was a good mix of romance and mystery. I wanted a lot more in the ending, so I'm hoping there will be more in the next book. I like the dual perspectives in this book, and this book ends complete; there isn't a cliffhanger, so that's always good! I'm actually going to start the next book right now, so hopefully I enjoy that one as much or more than I do this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment