Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Review for The Best of Me by Elisabeth Barrett - 4 bees knees


SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS.COM -

Jane Pringle never meant to fall for her boss. After landing a job as a pastry chef at the exclusive Briarwood Golf and Yacht Club in Eastbridge, Connecticut, she just wants to keep her son in a good school district and find some peace and quiet, far away from her manipulative ex-husband. But when Briarwood’s charismatic co-owner takes an interest in her, Jane’s best-laid plans go awry . . . in the sweetest way possible.

Rich and handsome, the grandson of one of the most powerful men in New York City, Preston North hasn’t lived quite the charmed life everyone believes. His family taught him everything he needs to know about betrayal—and Press wants no more of it. What he wants is Jane. The gorgeous single mom is selfless and kind, plus she’s got a backbone. To win her trust, Press just needs to shake off his playboy reputation.

They’ve each been burned in the past. But now Press and Jane will have to choose between letting their fears get the best of them . . . or breaking free and following their hearts.

MY REVIEW -


I liked the first book in the series, but I felt the book spent a bit too much time on other things besides the building of the relationship between the main characters, so I didn't love it. This book had a similar problem, but the author did a better job of focusing on the main characters, so I enjoyed this one a bit more, but there was still a bit too much side stories going on. This book features Jane Pringle, who had some of her own chapters in the first book, which was also another thing I felt was out of place in that book because I felt the book should of only had chapters in the perspective of the main characters, so I was glad to see the author only had chapter perspectives from the main characters in this book. Jane is a single mother, who was in an abusive marriage, and who is doing her best for her son; even if that means putting any thoughts for her own happiness out of the question. Jane works at Briarwood Country Club as a pastry chef, and there she meets one of the owners, Preston, aka Press. I liked that Press didn't play games, and that he could be vulnerable. Press is a sweetheart, and even though his clothing is a bit too preppy for my liking, I think I can get past it because he is adorable. Press is dealing with some difficult stuff from his past, and with his family, and I think he handled all of it beautifully. I liked Jane too, but I did get frustrated with her sometimes. She is strong, but she doesn't think some things through, so she ends up make more problems because she is too scared, and she also has a problem accepting help from others, but I understand that it can be difficult to trust in other people's intentions, so I won't hold that against her. Press and Jane had some very sweet moments, and their sex scenes were great; I liked that Press liked to savor the moment. I am interested to see where this series goes, and who the next book will feature. Barrett did a better job in this book than the first with balancing the romance and the other aspects of the story, so in the end I'm glad I decided to read this book!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it more than I thought I would!

      Delete