Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Review for Against the Wall by Jill Sorenson SPOILERS!!!! - 2 out of 5 rating



SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS -

Eric Hernandez is the bad boy of every schoolgirl’s fantasies—and every mother’s nightmares. But after serving time for manslaughter, he’s ready to turn his life around. He just needs a chance to prove himself as a professional tattoo artist. The one thing that keeps him going is the memory of the innocent beauty he loved and left behind.

Meghan Young’s world isn’t as perfect as it looks. The preacher’s daughter is living a lie, especially now that Eric is back. Tougher, harder, and sexier than ever, he might be the only person she can trust. But there’s no telling what he’ll do to protect her if he learns the truth, and that’s a risk Meghan won’t let him take. And yet, back in the arms of the troubled boy with the artist’s soul, Meghan can’t help surrendering to the man he’s become.


MY REVIEW -

No, this wasn't for me. There is just too many things I disliked about this book, and since there were so many things I didn't like, I couldn't enjoy the 5 percent I did like. I'm not going to be able to do a review without spoilers, so here is your warning, and I'm feeling kind of harsh, so sorry for that. SPOILERS!!!!!


Meghan (main female character) is a college student, who had a brief relationship with Eric (the male lead) before he went to prison for being involved in a gang fight that lead to the other guy getting killed accidently by Eric, so Eric went to prison for 3 years for manslaughter, and of course, Eric pushed Meghan away for her own good. Now he is out of prison, and living with his dead brother's ex, who is now newly married to a cop, who happens to be Meghan's brother. Meghan still has feelings for Eric, and Eric still has feelings for Meghan, but he thinks he isn't good enough for her, so he pushes her away. Eric is trying to improve his life, but it is difficult when he runs into some people he knows from the gangs.

So, the first thing that bothers me is that the characters aren't together for a lot of the book. Of course they made eyes at each other and some heavy flirting, but I think they didn't really get with each other until over 60% into the book, and the relationship isn't developed enough for my liking.

Another thing I disliked was that every woman Eric sees he pretty much thinks is hot and he wants to have sex with her, and can't stop himself from thinking about the women's boobs, so right off the bat I'm not liking this guy. Then he goes to "apologize" to the girlfriend of the guy he killed, and ends up having sex with her, so there another thing I don't like about him and this book. I mean come on! Who has sex with the girlfriend of the guy you killed! While being in love (even if he is sort of in denial about it) with someone else; even if she has a boyfriend, tell her how you feel! Jeez. And he goes to have sex with her again, but since the girlfriend of the guy he killed lives in the rival gangs territory, he gets derailed, and decides that maybe sleeping with her isn't such a great idea. No Really! Ugh. And when this event occurs, Meghan doesn't have a boyfriend anymore, so instead of manning up and telling Meghan how he feels, he decides to go sleep with someone else. I just can't deal with these people. I hate when the characters have sex with other people in the book; it's one thing for there to be past hook-ups, but when it is actually while the main characters are in each other lives, I just hate it the whole thing, and it really sours the whole story for me.

I didn't really like Meghan either because she plays games and makes stupid decisions. She's always trying to entice Eric to want her even though she has a boyfriend. She does a 3 way raunchy(rubbing all up on each other) dance with Eric, and her best friend, Kelsea. Which is gross in it's own right, but she let's Eric kiss her during the dance, and since her boyfriend is in the same place they are dancing, he sees and get pissed, which causes more problems with Eric and her boyfriend. Her boyfriend is a douche, and she doesn't love him, but she doesn't want to take the time to actually leave the guy, so she stays with an abusive boyfriend; at first littler things like bruises on the arms, yelling, and disrespecting her (he basically forces her to give him blowjobs), and even though there are tons of signs that he is increasing his abusive ways, she is surprised when he hits her. Another thing she did is she tries to "help" Eric with his gang problem, but of course she gets taken by a gang member, and put right into the situation, which she is surprised by. What did she think was going to happen if she stuck her nose in gang stuff!? The gang people would just stop because she there to help. Ugh. She's always surprised when bad things happen, and there are very clear signs that these bad things are going to happen, so it makes me think she doesn't use her brain very much. She also seems very immature, but I'll give her a bit of pass since she is only 22. I'll give her kudos for finally leaving her boyfriend, even if it took him hitting her for her to finally leave.

Also, there's a whole slut walk thing that was just ridiculous. The girls do a walk through town to show that women should be allowed to wear what they want and do what or who they want without being labeled negatively, and they call the event the Slut Walk. They basically dress in skimpy clothing, and walk around town like a protest march type of thing, and of course problems arise from it. There are better ways to get respect.

I really tried to like this book, and look past some stuff, but I couldn't. There a couple sweet moments between Eric and Meghan, and they have some good sex scenes, but too little to late for me.

I haven't read any other books by Jill Sorenson, and I'm not sure I will read any other books by her. Kelsea and Tank's story might be interesting, but I'm unsure if I can get past how much this book didn't catch me.

No comments:

Post a Comment