Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Review for I Wish You Were Mine by Lauren Layne - 4 out of 5



SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS -

A year ago, Jackson Burke was married to the love of his life and playing quarterback for the Texas Redhawks. Now he’s retired, courtesy of the car accident that ruined his career—and single, after a nasty scandal torpedoed his marriage. Just as he’s starting to get used to his new life as a health and fitness columnist for Oxford magazine, his unpredictable ex shows up on his doorstep in Manhattan. Jackson should be thrilled. But he can’t stop thinking about the one person who’s always been there for him, the one girl he could never have: her younger sister.

Mollie Carrington can’t say no to Madison. After all, her older sister practically raised her. So when Madison begs for help in winning her ex-husband back, Mollie’s just glad she got over her own crush on Jackson ages ago—or so she thought. Because as Mollie reconnects with Jackson, she quickly forgets all her reasons to stay loyal to her sister. Tempted by Jackson’s mellow drawl and cowboy good looks, Mollie is sick and tired of coming in second place. But she can’t win if she doesn’t play the game.


MY REVIEW -

I really enjoyed this book, and I almost loved it, but there were a couple things that I didn't quite like, which I'll get to in a little bit; they are sort of spoilery so I'll give warning when I do.

Jackson was living his dream as a quarterback for a pro-football team in Texas, but then he is in a car accident, which causes injuries to his shoulder and hip, so he can no longer play football, and to top it off, Jackson's wife, Madison, also divorces him shortly after the accident. Jackson is now working at Oxford magazine in New York, which is a great opportunity, but he is in a pretty down place, and is having a hard time adjusting to his new life.

Mollie is Jackson's ex-wife's sister, who lives in New York and Jackson has always felt a connection with Mollie; Mollie is someone he could always talk to, and for him it wasn't necessarily a romantic connection, more of a friendship connection, but for Mollie, she feels more for Jackson than just friendship, and when Jackson and Mollie meet up for dinner, Jackson realizes that he may feel more for Mollie than just friendship, but both are trying to brush off their feelings because Jackson was Mollie's sister's husband.

I loved the chemistry between Mollie and Jackson, and I liked both of them as characters. Mollie is feisty, smart, and I like her confidence. I like how she brings out the best in Jackson, and doesn't let him wallow around. They are definitely adorable together, and they have some great spicy scenes. The author did a great job of balancing story and romance. Despite the sort of taboo aspect of their relationship, I really wanted them to work out.

There are characters from previous books, so you may want to read those first, but I don't think it is absolutely necessary, but there are some spoilers for the past books in this book, so you may want to take that into account. I love the scenes with the other guys and Penelope at the Oxford office. Those scenes were so fun, and all the characters are great!

I'm really enjoying this series, and I look forward to more!

Okay Spoiler Time!!! SPOILERS!

I get that Mollie's sister, Madison, is sort of vile; she cheats often on Jackson and lies to the tabloids, and she only cares about herself, but I still wasn't in love with Mollie getting with her sister's ex-husband. Jackson really loved Madison; he says so in the book, and they were married for years; it wasn't just a flash in the pan type of thing, and even though Jackson wasn't happy in the marriage since almost the beginning; he still stayed married to Madison, and Madison was eventually the one who got the divorce. I think I would have liked for Jackson to not put up with that crap, and left at the first signs of how devious Madison is. It would have been better if Madison and Jackson's marriage was a fluke, or something.

I also wish that Jackson had felt more for Mollie in the past. It seemed to me like he was only starting to notice her because she got a makeover. I know they always had a connection, but he never really noticed Mollie, so it made feel like Mollie got a bit of a raw deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment