Monday, February 22, 2016

Review for Naked by Gina Gordon - 3 out of 5



SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS -

Violet Walker has been hiding. Withdrawn after a terrible car accident, she is worried about going back to her high-pressure job, where she’s expected to project confidence and sleek refinement. Allowing herself a distraction, she’s been watching her sexy neighbor work on his house. But when the shirtless, grinning hunk catches her in the act, Violet is struck by the unmistakable jolt of physical chemistry, a sensation that’s both thrilling and terrifying.

Noah Young is used to moving from one construction job to another, never laying a firm foundation. The same goes for the women in his life—until Violet changes all that. His beautiful voyeur embraces his rough edges and shows him a hint of real love. But even Noah can tell that she’s holding back, hiding her body and her heart from what they both truly want. If only he could get a little help convincing Violet to see herself as he sees her: perfect in every way.

MY REVIEW -

I really liked the premise of this book, but I just didn't connect with the characters; mainly the female lead, Violet. I still enjoyed the book, and it looks like this is going to be a series, so I think I'll check out the next books in the series because I did like the writing.

Violet was in a car accident that left her with some bad scars on her neck and across her chest, and because of it she wears scarfs and clothes that cover up her scarred area, and she has very low self-esteem because she thinks she is hideous. Violet is use to everyone thinking she is so gorgeous, so she is afraid to show anyone her scars because she fears how people will think of her. Violet is sort of in hiding, and is sneaking peeks at her hot neighbor fixing up a house across from her house. Noah is the hot neighbor, and he knows Violet is watching him, so he does something to make her show herself, and of course there is an instant connection. Noah likes Violet, and Violet likes Noah, but Violet has issues and Noah has had a previous heartbreak, so they are both weary, but the decide to have no strings sex for the month that Violet is going to be in town before she heads back to the city for her job. Violet wants to keep any personal stuff out of the "relationship" because she is rich, and since she isn't ready to show anyone her scars, she doesn't want Noah to know her last name, so he can't look her up and know about her money and the accident.

So, the problem I had with Violet is I felt she is too focused on looks, and I don't mean just hers, but some of the thoughts she had about Noah's sister, Charlotte, were very superficial. Just because someone doesn't dress sexy doesn't mean they are invisible and forgettable, and Violet was so use to everyone thinking she is so beautiful, she doesn't know who she is without her beauty, so her thought process was getting on my nerves. I loved that Violet is a great business woman, and I do like that she goes after what she wants, and I liked her family dynamic with her parents. Noah was a good guy, and I liked his family and friends. Violet and Noah definitely steam up the sheets, or I suppose the streets, since Violet has a thing about public sex. Violet and Noah do have some sweet moments, and I did like them together. I liked their banter with each other. I did enjoy reading Violet's journey of growth.

I think this will be a good series, and I'm interested in Charlotte's story, and Harper and Luke's story.

Another thing that bothered me.....SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why in the heck didn't Violet tell Noah that she had no intention of buying the house for her company!? If she would have said she wasn't going to do anything to the house, and she was going to find some way for all of them to be happy, I'm sure Noah wouldn't have had such a problem with it. Violet just didn't think things through enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment