Thursday, March 3, 2016

Review for Drive by Sidney Bristol - 3 out of 5



SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS -

Aiden DeHart has a history—and secrets. His classic car garage is a front for an FBI operation. His current mission: get some evidence from a drug dealer’s ex-wife, then get out. Madison Haughton sending his engine into overdrive isn’t part of the plan, though, especially considering she might not be as innocent as Aiden thought…

Since her divorce from her sleazeball ex, Madison has sworn off bad boys, gotten some sweet tattoos, and become a star of Miami’s roller derby scene. But however fast she skates, her ex is always on her tail. When the sexy guy in the muscle car offers to help, he could be her ticket to safety—or a detour down a deadly road…


MY REVIEW -

I enjoyed Drive, and I liked that it sort of has a Fast and Furious feel because I like those movies, so I was on board for all the car talk. I almost gave this a 4 rating, but I felt the characters were a bit confusing, and I would have liked them to be fleshed out a bit more. I loved that Madison was part of the roller derby! And she has a really kick-ass moment, that was awesome! Unfortunately, she usually put herself in bad situations by making some bad decisions, so I was going back and forth on how I felt about her, and I didn't love that she says one thing and does another. I liked Aiden, but I also felt he also made odd decisions, and he also wasn't firm in his decisions.

Aiden runs a car shop, but he also is helping the FBI catch some bad guys by working undercover as a guy who is sort of involved with the criminal element, so he's not exactly squeaky clean. Aiden is tired of doing this type of work, but feels like he is sort of trapped in his position, and he has a team that he cares for, so that just adds to the pressure to keep working with the FBI, and he also has a personal vendetta against a really bad guy. Madison is trying to pull her life together after divorcing a douche of a guy, who is involved in shady business with the bad guys, but said douche, asks Aiden to get a flash drive from Madison by any means necessary. The FBI wants Aiden to see if Madison knows anything about the douches business, so Aiden agrees to get close to Madison to find out if she is trustworthy or if she was/is involved with the douche's business. Madison wants her Ex out of her life, so when Aiden offers to help her out, she agrees that Aiden can help keep her safe from her Ex's dealings.

I felt Madison was a bit too trusting after having a less than stellar track record of dealing with guys. She meets Aiden, and right away she gets into a car with him. I also found it odd that Aiden is trying to protect Madison, so I don't really understand why she went with him to the races because all it did was create more problems, and nothing was accomplished; they just went there and did nothing and then left, but along the way, they caught the attention of some local gang leader, who has beef with Aiden and his crew, so now Madison is in danger because the gang people saw her with him, so yup more problems.

Both Aiden and Madison feel a connection, but they both feel they aren't in a place to be in any type of serious relationship. I liked them together, and they do have some sweet moments, and some spicy scenes. I think the sex scenes were well placed, and the author did a good job of balancing out the story with the relationship scenes.

I kind of felt that not a lot is going on in this book; they basically drive around to different places, and build up trouble, but I was interested through the whole book, and there were some cool elements in the story. I liked most of the side characters, so I'm looking forward to reading their books, and read more about Aiden and Madison. This book ends in a sort of cliffhanger, but more of a to be continued type of thing, and the next books in the series will feature other characters in the lead positions. If you enjoy car talk, a cute romance, and some action, then I suggest giving Drive a read. Looking forward to more!

No comments:

Post a Comment