Friday, March 18, 2016

Review for Touched by Elisa S. Amore - 4 out of 5 stars



SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS -

Based on a Norwegian legend
A Sealed Fate
An Angel of Death
A Forbidden Love

“As seductive as Meet Joe Black. As mysterious as City of Angels. As powerful as Twilight.”

What are you willing to sacrifice when the only person who can save you is the same one who has to kill you?

After vampires and werewolves, after wizards and fallen angels, a new breed of Angels is here to usher you into their dark world. An ancient, deadly, inescapable race.
No one can see them. They’re shadows of destiny. They’re knights of death. They’re the Subterraneans and they’re here to claim our lives.
Commanded by a mysterious congregation called the Màsala, the Angels of Death ensure that each man’s destiny takes its due course on Earth.
But what happens when love intervenes?
Can an Angel of Death deny his own nature and challenge destiny?
Can love rebel against fate?

When Gemma’s eyes first meet the dark, piercing gaze of Evan James, an ominous shadow creeps into her life, ultimately leading her to face her destiny. She doesn't realize Evan is one of Death's soldiers and that Death is summoning her.
Her time is up: Gemma must die . . . and Evan has been sent to kill her.
But what if she’s the only one who can truly see him?

Against every rule. Against fate itself. Against everything and everyone. A story of forbidden love and star-crossed destinies.

Dark. Romantic. Dangerous.

Touched combines devastating passion and unconfessable secrets, heartrending decisions and deep emotions, giving life to a love story as intense as the feelings that unite Evan and Gemma, as inescapable as the destiny that looms over them . . .


MY REVIEW -

I really love the whole premise of Touched, and I was interested and entertained the whole time I was reading it, so that is definitely a good sign! The main thing that dropped the rating down a star was Gemma, and that's mainly due to how she acts with Evan. I feel like she loses herself because of how obsessed she is with Evan; nothing else matters to her but Evan, and she doesn't use intelligence when it comes to him; she's so infatuated with Evan that she shuts out any type of sensible thought, and I just couldn't get on board with that. Gemma's intelligence is really lacking for me in this book; I expected more out of her, maybe that's the problem, my expectations were too high. I also have absolutely no problem with instalove, but I felt there is no explanation about why Gemma and Evan feel this intense connection; I guess I'm going to assume it's a soulmate type of thing, and maybe more will be explained in the next book. With that being said, I am looking forward to the next book in the series because I liked a lot of the elements of the story, and Gemma grew on me a bit. I struggled with not giving this 5 stars because I'm a sap for romantic, deep connections, but I just couldn't get over how diminished Gemma was, and I felt how she treats her so-called friends was rude, and I also don't really get why the author chose to have the prequel book, The Shadow of Fate, be all about how Peter feels about Gemma because I feel his role in this book was extremely limited, which isn't necessarily a bad thing because I didn't like him as much in this book as I did in the prequel, but maybe there will be something with him in later books.

I enjoyed the death dealer aspect; I love when "Death" is put into a romantic role in books, and I'm interested to read where this story is going to go in the next book. I loved that this book didn't have the stereotypical "bitchy" girl hating on Gemma; that's nice for a change. I did like the scenes between Gemma and Evan; just not how Gemma acts when she's on her own. The romance is actually really sweet and like I said, I don't mind instalove, so I'm all on board for the connection between them. I liked Evan, and I was glad when he had some chapters with his POV; most are in Gemma's POV though. I love soul deep connections, and I don't mind super sappy romance, and Touched is definitely those things.

Here's a little bit about how the story starts, Gemma is a 17 year old girl in high school, who loves books so much, she often zones out, and ignores her "friends". Gemma has a pretty normal life, her parents are good parents and love each other very much, but they are often busy with running their diner. Gemma's best friend is Peter, who happens to have feelings for Gemma, but she is oblivious to his feelings, or so she says. I hated how insensitive she is towards Peter and his feelings, but I also think Peter should man up, and tell her how he feels. Anyway, Gemma ends up in the forest, and sees a good-looking, mysterious guy in the woods, but in the next moment he disappears, so she thinks she is seeing things. Gemma begins to feel as if she is being watched, but brushes it off, and continues on with her life. So some time later, the guy she saw in the forest appears at her school, and she realizes she wasn't hallucinating. Gemma feels a strong pull towards Evan, the guy in the woods, but he seems to have secrets and possibly already have a girlfriend, so she shies away from him, but she has these very vivid "dreams" where she talks to Evan, so even though she rarely talks to him in person, her feelings continue to grow for Evan. Touched is about Gemma trying to navigate through her feelings about Evan, and also why there are some weird, mysterious things happening in her town, and what to think and do about them.

I ended up going with 4 stars because I did find the story interesting, and I want to know more! I also liked the writing, and I liked the world the author creates. So, I'm really looking forward to the next book! I think there's a lot of potential for the story to get really interesting!

Oh one more thing! I'm not in love with the whole Gevan thing, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment