Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Review for Off the Hook by Laura Drewry - 5 out of 5 stars!




SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS -

Welcome to The Buoys, a West Coast haven where love comes in with the tide. Perfect for readers of Jill Shalvis and Susan Mallery, the Fishing for Trouble series features three unforgettable brothers—each of whom is a great catch.

Major league pitcher Liam O'Donnell knows his best days are probably behind him, but that doesn't mean he's ready to retire and become a fishing guide. Still, after all the time he's spent chasing his dreams, he owes it to his brothers to pull his weight around the lodge. The Buoys is their father's legacy, and they can't let some developer take it from them. The one snag Liam isn't counting on is a blast from the past: his ex-wife.

The moment Kate Hadley steps out of the seaplane, she knows this assignment is going to be trickier than she thought. She has to persuade the owners to sell—and one of them is Liam O'Donnell. Ten years ago, she made the biggest mistake of her life when she married Liam during a fling in Vegas. Now he's her only lifeline in the middle of nowhere. Kate's trying to keep things cool, but Liam just reminds her of the scorching few nights they spent together—and tempts her to make new memories that are just as steamy as the old.


MY REVIEW -

I loved this! I loved the premise and the characters! The romance was really sweet, and I enjoyed the slow burn between Liam and Kate. Liam is a major league baseball player, but after some stress to his arm he isn't as good as he used be, and the offers aren't exactly pouring in, so in the mean time Liam is helping his family clean up the family business, a fishing lodge, in hopes of gaining more guests to help pay of the taxes due on the property. Kate is sent to help out the family by her boss, who knew their father, but Kate's boss also has an interest in buying the place if the family doesn't end paying their taxes. Both Kate and Liam have met before, and are surprised to see each other after 10 years. Kate and Liam had a whirlwind romance in Vegas, and ended up married, but Liam left Kate without a word while she was sleeping and sent her divorce papers because he didn't want anything/one taking his focus from his baseball career, so they are both weary of working with each other. I really felt for Kate, what Liam did was really jerky, and I almost wanted Kate to give Liam a bigger piece of her mind, but I think Kate showed a lot of strength in how she handled herself, and I loved how capable she came across. Liam came off a little gruff, but as the story went on his humor came out, and I appreciate that he's a nice, normalish guy, and the more I read, the more I am finding that I really appreciate those stories that have nice guys. Liam and Kate are great together, and I liked how they play off each other, and since there were definitely some feelings hurt between the two, I felt the timeline for the development of the romance was believable. I loved the family dynamics between Liam and his brothers, and the brothers struggle with the past of their family, and I also liked Jessie, the boys long-time friend, who is a major part of the fishing lodge running properly; she seems like another strong woman character that I would enjoy. The setting was great, and I liked that the characters were minimal due to the seclusion of the fishing lodge; it makes it so you can really get down to the story, and not muck it all up with stupid misunderstandings. I really enjoyed Laura Drewry's writing, and I will definitely be reading the next in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment