Thursday, July 21, 2016

Review for Army of the Winter Court by Ali Winters - 4 out of 5



SYNOPSIS -

The heart and blood of life will give rise to the final army.

Evvie Hewett is human. Or at least she thought she was. An encounter with a handsome stranger turns her world upside down in an impossible way and everything she thought she knew about herself has changed. Her history holds the key, not only to her future, but to the future of the darkest kingdom in existence.

Thrust into the middle of a rivalry between two brothers for the Unseelie throne, she must decide who to trust, and who not to. However, knowing who to trust has never been more difficult when one brother wants her heart, the other, her blood.

She holds the key to the creation of the ultimate army. Threatened at every turn, she must find the truth before she loses her heart, and her life. Can she see past the lies and deception to stay alive, or will she fall victim to an ancient feud?

MY REVIEW -

I loved that this book deals with the Unseelie Fae! I haven't read too much where that happens, while I have read tons of things to do with the Seelie Fae, so I was loving it! I also enjoy when characters who are suppose to be bad or evil, go against character. Army of the Winter Court starts out with the Unseelie king having been killed without naming an heir to the Unseelie throne, so a rivalry for the throne begins to brew between the siblings. Aurelian and Nolan make a bet of sorts devised by their sister, Lilith, that whichever brother the half-blood they need to rule chooses will be crowned as the King of the Unseelie. The half-blood they seek is Evvie, Evvie is a college student, who knows nothing of the Fae, and is at an extreme disadvantage in the games between the siblings. I really enjoyed all the characters, and the descriptions for the Unseelie kingdom. The setting and the way it was written was definitely my favorite part of this book. I liked Evvie, but I didn't really enjoy how much she wallowed around; it was like she was bipolar or something, and I don't feel like she contributed much to the story. Maybe that's why I felt the romance was also sort of lacking; the romance didn't feel genuine enough to me because I kept thinking that maybe it's just the claim that's causing it, and that bothered me a bit. I stilled enjoyed the relationship, and at times I found it sweet. I also would have liked a different ending; the ending was fine, but I don't I just wanted a little something more; something with a bigger splash. I knew exactly what was going to go down in regards to the players in the story, but I still enjoyed reading to see how it would evolve. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book, and I would like to know more about the characters, and I loved that there is dual POV. I also did enjoy the writing, so I look forward to checking out more books by Ali Winters!

No comments:

Post a Comment