Thursday, August 25, 2016

Review for The Flame and the Arrow by Emigh Cannaday - 4 out of 5



SYNOPSIS -

"Don't do it, Annika," he taunted. His eyes were no longer bright and charming but dark and intense, yet they still twinkled. He was tempting, but was he harmful?

Aspiring rock star Annika Brisby thinks she knows where her life is going until she steps through a broken portal that leaves her stranded in a realm of fairies, vampires, and other mythical beings. Unable to return until it's repaired, she's rescued by wood nymphs who believe her sudden arrival is no accident. After being taken in by a prominent family of elves, Annika finds herself struggling to resist the seductive spell of their youngest son, Talvi. Equal parts arrogant and alluring, the notorious heartbreaker seems like the perfect distraction for her homesickness. Her new friends warn her that she'll probably regret ever laying eyes on him, and what begins as a casual fling quickly burns too hot to handle. By the time Annika learns the consequences of their forbidden trysts, Talvi's already under her skin and dangerously close to her heart. But on the journey home she discovers that there's a mountain of secrets that he's not telling her, and Annika can't help wondering who's really in danger.


MY REVIEW -

In The Flame and the Arrow, Annika is an American, who visit her Uncle overseas, and meets some interesting, unique people at a bookstore, one of which, is the very handsome and alluring Talvi, but Annika is unsure of them, so she runs from them. Annika thinks of Talvi, but tries to move on with a hike before she heads back home, but she ends up getting pulled through a portal to a land of mythical beings, and ends up being trapped there. Annika needs to find a way home, but she also finds out some things about herself and others that she was unaware of, so she is unsure of what she truly wants, and so the adventure begins. I loved the world building, and I loved all the different types of mythical beings. The description the author writes really painted a picture in my mind as I read. I also loved that there is a bit of adventure in this book, and I loved that even though the book takes place in a realm like the Fae realm, which I have read plenty of books about, it wasn't like any of the other books I have read. There were times I really loved this book, but there were also times I wasn't liking it. Annika got on my nerves at times, I felt she wasn't very thoughtful of others, and I felt she didn't act her age; she felt immature to me, and I felt she was cold and brash at times, but I still liked her; just not loved, and now that I think about it, I didn't really love any of the characters, but maybe that's because they all are a bit complex, and often times to me, it comes off as rude. Also, some of the word choices in this book were odd; especially in the love scenes, like calling a vagina a honeycomb, and I dislike the endearment, dove. Also, the sex scenes were rather shocking because I felt the rest of the book read as YA, and there also was a sex scene missing that I found to be odd, but the scenes did get better as the book went on. I wasn't loving the back and forth between Annika and Talvi, and I'm totally fine with a little of that type of thing, but I was still ready to move past it, and I felt Annika was too blasé and indifferent towards Talvi at times, and I didn't like that character trait in her, so I felt her attitude, and the back and forth took away some from the romance aspect of this story, but there were also some really sweet moments that I really loved. In the end, I really enjoyed the whole plot and setting of this story, and I'm looking forward to reading the next book; I did read some reviews for the next book, and read some things I'm not looking forward to, but since I enjoy the setting and the writing, I hope those overshadow the stupid actions of the characters. By the way, love the cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment