Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Review for Hunters and Prey by Katie Salidas - 4 out of 5



SYNOPSIS -

Becoming a vampire saved Alyssa from death, but the price was high: the loss of everything and everyone attached to her mortal life. She's still learning to cope when a surprise confrontation with Santino Vitale, the Acta Sanctorum's most fearsome hunter, sends her fleeing back to the world she once knew, and Fallon, the friend she's missed more than anything.


Alyssa breaks vampire law by revealing her new, true self to her old friend, a fact which causes strong division in the group that should support her most: her clan.

Worse yet, her revelation entangles Fallon in the struggle between vampires and hunters and The Acta Sanctorum is ready to attack again, with a new army of hybrid creations: the Frenzy Soldiers.

If Alyssa hopes to survive and keep her mortal friend safe, she'll have to be willing to make a deal with the enemy, and regain her clan's support. It will take everyone working together in a precarious truce to fight against the Acta Sanctorum's new threat.


MY REVIEW -

I really love the visuals Katie Salidas creates with her writing; her descriptions were wonderful, and I really liked the flow of the book. I liked the first book in this series, but I didn't love it because the main character really annoyed me, and she continued to annoy me in this book, but I see some hope for her in this book! She makes some seriously damaging decisions in this book, that cause lots of problems for her friends. She doesn't think before acting, and although her intentions are good, her actions generally cause problems for herself and her group, so it is difficult to like her, but as I said, she is learning that she needs to think things through, so I liked her a bit more in this book. I loved all the action, and once the main plot started evolving I enjoyed a lot of the story. The romance definitely stepped up a notch in this book, and Lysander and Alyssa have some really sweet moments, and they definitely have a couple of spicy moments. In Hunters and Prey, Alyssa runs into some trouble, and ends up dragging her human friend, Fallon, into the vampire world, which is dangerous because a group of hunters is set on exterminating vampires, and a faction of these hunters has their sights set on Alyssa and her group of vamps. So, Alyssa needs to help rectify the trouble she caused by bringing Fallon into the vamp world, and she also has to deal with being hunted. I like that the book has a bit of gore, and that I can see the characters growing. I still wasn't love with the side characters; they all seemed rather dull, and I could have done without some of the scenes of Alyssa going feeding because it felt a bit repetitive to me. This book kept me interested and entertained till the end, so I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment