Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Review for Throwing Clay Shadows by Thea Atkinson - 4 out of 5



SYNOPSIS -


It's 1807 on the Scottish Isle of Eigg. Four-year old Maggie believes she has killed her mother by saying bad things and now she won't say a word. She's worried if she says anything else, she'll kill her da too. The trouble is, the consumption that really took her ma, has marked Maggie too. It forces Da to marry Janet so Maggie can have a woman to look after her. It gets harder for her to stay silent, though, because Janet tries to get Maggie to talk. She's not sure she can hold out when this new ma reveals secrets that make her squirm, that make her feel like Da is doing things he shouldn't be. It seems there's more to worry about than a few words. If she can just understand what Ma's ghost is telling her from the corners, Maggie will be able to face her fears and find her voice and true power. The question is: will that power be enough to bind the family together even against the darkest secrets?

MY REVIEW -


This book isn't really something I generally like to read, but the writing was really great and the story is interesting. If I based the rating on my liking the story, I probably would've rated it a 3, but the writing style definitely pumped the rating up a notch for me. I almost felt like I was waiting the whole time for the real story to begin, but this book is a slower building story with some real situations and it is a period piece, so everything seems simpler. The story takes place in 1807 in Scotland, and is really rather depressing, but the characters kept me reading and wondering where in the heck this story is going. Angus has lost his wife, who he had deep love for, and his unborn child, and after his wife's death, their 4 year old daughter, Maggie, believes it is her fault, so she stops speaking, and Angus worries for her, so he marries a spinster, so his daughter will have a mother figure. The relationship between Angus and his new wife, Janet, is strained, and both are dealing with a lot that has happened in each of their lives, and finding trust and connection between them is difficult. There's also lots of POV's, we get POV's from Maggie, Angus, Janet, and Angus' sister, Emma, who are all dealing with their own issues, and although it seems like a lot of POV's and I normally don't like more than 2 POV's, I think it was done well. This is a standalone, and I think the ending worked for this type of story. I've read other books by Thea Atkinson, and have really enjoyed her writing in each book I've read of hers, she has stories that go to lots of different genres, I for one happen to love Paranormal books, so I tend to favor her books that lean more in that direction, but I'm always willing to give books of hers a try that may not be to my usual liking, and I think that is a credit to her wonderful writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment