Sunday, January 22, 2017

Review for Act of Surrender by Mandy M. Roth - 4 out of 5



SYNOPSIS -

Dr. James Hagen thought he’d bid Paranormal Security and Intelligence Agency good riddance nearly ten years back. He’d been an operative with them for so long that carving out a new path in life had taken time, but he’d achieved it. He’d made it his mission in life to help the wayward find a path again, to help those who couldn’t help themselves. All that changed when he fell into enemy hands. Now, unable to fully heal and plagued by nightmares and choppy visions of what is to come, James isn’t sure if he can keep going. That is, until he meets PSI’s newest person of interest—a quirky, sexy cyberpunk who totally turns his world upside down.

Laney Steele knows she’s onto something. It doesn’t matter that most have written her off as a conspiracy theorist and a hacktivist. She knows the government is hiding the existence of super soldiers who can shapeshift into animals. She’s so sure that she puts herself on the line to find out more, only what she uncovers isn’t exactly what she was hoping for, and it has a heck of a lot more to do with her than she ever thought possible. When her newfound online gamer buddy turns out to be a super solider, she throws caution to the wind just for a chance to be with him. Neither one of them realize the enemy has been lurking, waiting for the perfect moment to strike—again.


MY REVIEW -

I really like this series because I love the scenario of evil scientists trying to make genetically modified super soldiers, so I'm totally loving all of that in these books, and when you add in shifters, I'm over the moon! You should read the first book in this series because there is a continuing story through each of the books, but there is a different focal couple in each book. In this book, we get James' story, he is a wolf shifter, who was tortured by evil scientists in the last book and was finally saved, but his wolf isn't showing itself and he isn't healing properly, so he is trying to find out what the scientists did to him to cause him to have these problems. James is tasked with finding out more information about a hacker, but as he begins getting to know Goth Girl; horrible hacker name by the way, he feels a deep connection to her, even though he hasn't met or seen a picture of her. Laney a.k.a Goth Girl, believes there are supernatural things out there, and she also believes there is a corporation that is using supernaturals in experiments, and she feels like she needs to find out the truth and bring them down; plus she also has some personal reasons to wanting to know more information. Laney is usually a pretty secret person, but when she connects with James online, she feels like she has found someone she can connect with, but the road to happiness isn't going to be easy for these 2! I love, love, loved that Laney is a hacker! I find all that stuff totally cool, but then she started coming across as ditsy and a bit moronic, so I was disappointed. James is great, and I was excited to read his story because I wanted to know how he was going to get past what had happened to him, and I liked that he wasn't your typical guy, I liked that he is smart, and doesn't sleep around with every woman who walks by him. I like all the action in this book, and I do enjoy the scenes with the other team members, but I do feel like there wasn't enough time spent on James and Laney alone. I wanted to see their relationship have more time to evolve. They are cute and sweet together, but I just wanted more of them. I do love the scenes when James is shifted because I love how protective the animals are of their mates. I think I just wanted more depth to the characters and to the situation the characters are facing, but that's not really the purpose of these books, they are more on the light-hearted, humorous side of things. This book is a quick, entertaining read, and I look forward to more! I listened to the audiobook version of this book, and I also listened to the first book, and they both had the same narrator, and he did a good job in the first book, but I felt like I liked his narrating better in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment