Sunday, January 15, 2017

Review for The Guardians by Mandy M. Roth - 4 out of 5



SYNOPSIS -

Butt-kicking Guardian, Madelyn Mason, is the only female in a sea of supernatural males. College student by day, she spends her nights fighting for mankind--the innocents, the ones who have no clue that the things of nightmares walk among the living.

Larger than life Hollywood hunk, Brady Devens, has won the hearts of millions of adoring fans. But, the only heart he wants to win is that of his mate, Madelyn. She hasn't shown an interest in him as anything more than a friend, and he’s beginning to think the Powers That Be goofed.

In this world of magik, mishap, demons, gods, and pleasure nymphs, anything is possible. Can they find a love that transcends time and space or will the Powers That Be decide maybe they weren’t destined for one another after all?


MY REVIEW -


So, I ended up really enjoying this book. The premise is interesting, unique, and I loved the action scenes. The reason why I say I ended up enjoying the book is because the characters came off rather moronic at times, and I was having a hard time wanting to continue. Also, I listened to the audiobook version of this story, and the narrator was really grating on my nerves. Her voice was really breathy, and added to my thoughts that the female lead was a ditzy bimbo, and at times her voice was a bit robotic, so I was having a hard time getting past that to continue the story, but I pressed on and I was glad I did. I do really enjoy Mandy M. Roth's writing, but I think I will stay away from this narrator from now on. The premise is really cool in this book, Madelyn is a Guardian that kicks some major supernatural butt!! She is put into lots of dangerous situations, and she has people out to kill her because she is a Guardian and she is immensely powerful. Loved the suspense, and how the secrets unfold. I love that this story has a lot of different supernaturals! Madelyn also has a best friend, Brady, who she has recently moved in with, but he doesn't know anything about what Madelyn does, or how powerful she is, so she does what she can to hide it from him, so he won't be in danger, but Madelyn may not be the only one keeping secrets, and both Brady and Madelyn have been kept in the dark about a lot of things. Now, Madelyn at the beginning of the book came off really ditzy and clueless, Brady and her rub up on each other and such, and it is very obvious that Brady wants her, but she just doesn't get it! There's many times in this book where people say things that are huge clues to who they are, or what they are doing, and she just doesn't pick up on it; it's like she is off in la la land, so I was annoyed with that aspect of her character. Brady is an actor, and I hate all the fan-girling involved in that, so I'm glad it wasn't too huge a part of this book. I happen to love shifter books, so I was super happy that Mates is a thing in this book, and the sex scenes are hot! I was actually surprised at how intense they were since the characters felt rather young to me, so at first I was a bit startled, but I did enjoy them. The action scenes were badass! And I found them highly entertaining. I found this story gripping, and at times really heartfelt. This story ended satisfactory, but there is still a bigger story that needs to be completed, so I'm looking forward to continuing the story. The next book looks like it deals with different main characters, which I'm looking forward to, but I also hope we get more from Madelyn and Brady. The things I could've totally done with out are Vance and the Pleasure Nymphs, I can't stand characters that are pretty much prostitutes; especially the overly sexual Nymphs, they do have some comic relief because of how ridiculous they are, but not enough for me to enjoy their parts in the story. So yeah, I'm looking forward to the next book, staying away from the audio version, and going to continue to enjoy Mandy M. Roth's books! She has some great ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment