Sunday, June 25, 2017

Review for Hostile Workplace by A.M. Madden - 3 out of 5



SYNOPSIS - AMAZON LINK -

Sam Stanton knows these simple facts:
~ He is a great catch--successful, smart, gorgeous...but the wrong woman caught him.
~ He has the perfect girl who is madly in love with him.
~ He wasted six years of his life by playing it safe.
~ He is damn good at his job and intends to keep climbing the ladder.
~ He can't get her off his mind or out of his heart--no matter how hard he tries.

But, what he doesn't know is just as important:
~ Will he ever really move on and forget how badly she broke his heart?
~ Should he settle for a sure thing, even knowing it's the wrong thing?
~ Can he give up his career for a chance at happiness?
~ Does he correct one mistake with another?
~ What would he do if she were to return?

Confused yet? Welcome to Sam Stanton's life.


MY REVIEW -

This review may be slightly spoilerish. I liked the premise of this story, but I think there were too many unnecessary things in this book that took away from the heart of the story. Plus, it took way, way too long before the heroine was introduced. Most of this book is in Sam's POV, which I didn't mind, but the whole first half of this book is him with someone else besides the heroine, and there's descriptive sex; multiple scenes, of him with a different woman. The whole Judy thing was completely pointless, and muddled the story. When the heroine came into the story, I liked it better, but Sam still acted like a douche at times, so I had a hard time rooting for his happiness, but I still enjoyed reading their story unfold. Lydia was great, she felt more real then any of the other characters, and she's the reason I was rooting for Sam and Lydia. Sam and Lydia have some sweet moments together, and I enjoyed some of the flashback scenes. Sam and Lydia both got a raw deal. There's a bit of mystery to this story that I guessed very early on, and I always think that characters should know a lot sooner what the situation is, but it was interesting. So, I was entertained, but it just took way to long to get the story moving; I would've been totally fine if the whole first half was absent. Oh and the whole Romero's club addition wasn't necessary, and the epilogue wasn't satisfying. I've read A.M. Madden before, and really enjoyed that, so I'll keep reading A.M. Madden. I listened to the audiobook version of this, which had 2 narrators, 1 male and 1 female, and they both did a good job, and I enjoyed listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment